Friday 8 April 2016

G is for Goal

I'll state it right from the beginning: I'm lousy at setting goals. I'm so bad at setting goals that I'm not ever sure whether I'm good at keeping them or not… since I almost never set any.

Sure, I keep up with things anyway. My weekly calendar is frequently referenced to make sure I don't forget things, and to track any progress I make. The problem is that because my avoidance about setting goals makes it hard to figure out if I actually make much progress. I can see if I've lost some weight, if I've been to the gym or taken a walk but I miss the possibility to say "YES, I met my goal!"

Of course, I'd probably need an accountability partner to make it work. Or at least make the goals official enough so I can't back out or pretend that I haven't made any.

That's why I'm taking this opportunity. In my "A" post i made the following statements about the goals of April:
  1. Writing: Finish A2Z and Camp NaNo
  2. Health: Start over on 5:2 and find a workout timeplan that works
  3. Job: See the positive in every child and plan forward to summer daycamp.
  4. Faith: Set aside 10 minutes each day for personal growth (Bible reading, prayer, whatever). 

Ah. Official enough, I should think. Since that was a week ago, let's see where I am now:.
  1. Is going pretty well, thanks. I'm on par both with this blogging thing and Camp NaNo. No problems there.
  2. Not so good. 5:2 is going fairly well (though I've started experimenting with 16:8 instead) but no workout plan is developed yet. However, I have been to the gym twice this week and taken one 5 kilometer walk.
  3. Summer day camp planning is almost fully planned, we can't to much more until we know how many kids will participate (and we won't know that until end of May). See the positive in each child is a challenge, as I knew it would be, since a few of them are the kind that really push my patience. I'm working on it.
  4. Yes, I can say I've managed to do this during the week. So far, so good.
There. You've seen my list. Anyone want to share theirs?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for sticking with your goals so far! You're doing well with A2Z (your posts have been interesting), at least. :)

    I tend to make daily goals, things I want to get accomplished each day. There are so many things to do, more than I have time for, so I find it less overwhelming if I prioritize day-to-day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun to know that someone reads my musings - I think that has been the problem with me trying to blog before. No insipration, no comments....

      Daily goals? Hmmm... something to think about.

      Delete